Well, of course, electric scooters are legal. Let’s take a look at the common laws pertaining to electric scooter in the US. We’ll see the case of California to get an idea about the laws that are applicable to the use of electric scooters.
Electric scooter laws
- If you want to ride an electric scooter, you definitely need a leaner’s permit or a driver’s license, without which, you will not be allowed to ride. If you did, the cops will nab you.
- It doesn’t need license plates, registration or insurance. You don’t have to worry about these things as they are not applicable here.
- As a driver, you must wear a bicycle helmet.
- There are speed limits for motorized scooter. It can vary from place to place. You have got to find out what the limits are in the state you live.
- Also, there is a speed limit when you are on the public road. But you don’t have to worry about the speed limit if you are in a bike lane.
- In general, you are supposed to stay on the right side of the roadway. You are supposed to be next to the curb. If you want to move left, you can do it at an intersection. But you should walk your scooter to the left crossing roadway.
- If there is a bike lane provided, then you must stick to it. Otherwise, the police will nab you. It is really important to avoid accidents.
- As a driver, you are not supposed to ride on any sidewalk. However, there is an exception if you are trying to enter or leave a particular property. Otherwise, stay steer clear of sidewalk. You have the road and bike lane – strictly stay on course to avoid trouble.
- You are not supposed to leave your scooter on the sidewalk or the path. If a policeman catches you, you will be subjected to paying a fine.
- You are not supposed to hitch scooter onto another vehicle on the road. We are referring to a moving vehicle here.
- Most importantly, you are not supposed to have passengers on the bike.
- You can freely ride your scooter, as long as there is no local law prohibiting it through an ordinance. In some cases, local authorities might prohibit scooters from entering the road due to some special scenarios. If you are not aware of any of such scenario, you can ride your scooter without concern.
- While you ride your scooter, you are supposed to have at least one hand on handlebars. The police will catch you if they see you riding the bike without touching the handlebars. It is dangerous as well.
- During the dark hours, your scooter is supposed to have certain equipment. You are supposed to have a white headlight to the front. And this must be visible from 300 feet.
- You are supposed to have a red reflector on the rear, and it must be visible from 500 feet. If you don’t have it, you will be in trouble when a policeman books you.
- You are also supposed to have yellow or white reflectors, and they are supposed to be on both sides, visible from rear and front. And others should be able to see it from 200 feet at least. Make sure that you have it.
- Another thing you need to have is a white lamp. Where should you have it? It should be attached to the operator. Also, others should be able to spot it from 300 feet at least, from both sides as well as the front.
- Speaking of the handlebars, they are not supposed to exceed the shoulders of the person riding the scooter.
- Another important thing which you are supposed to have is engine/motor kill switch. It should be connected to the brakes. It is for your own safety.
- And your scooter is supposed to have a working brake as well.
So, yes, let’s come back to the main question. Is it legal to ride electric scooters? Yes, it is 100% legal to ride electric scooters. However, there are rules and regulations that you need to follow. You have to find out the rules and regulations applicable locally in your state. It can vary from state to state, but in general, the aforementioned rules are applicable.
As long as you are able to follow the rules and regulations, you have nothing to worry about. So, make sure that you have done your homework before you ride your scooter. Keep all the speed limits and other rules in your mind. You will be just fine.